Estimated reading time: 2 minute(s)
Thank you to those who came to today’s hustings. Here is a quick rundown of some of the things I’ve mentioned today.
Find out more about the Young Greens: https://www.younggreens.org.uk/ and the Young Greens political programme (essentially a round-up of Green Party manifesto pledges that will impact young people):
10 Bills, 2 years
Green MPs will support these bills in Parliament to demonstrate we can influence real change and get things done.
- Green New Deal Bill – seeking to reduce emissions to net-zero by 2030.
- People’s Vote Bill – to deliver a second referendum on the UK’s membership of the European Union.
- NHS Reinstatement Bill – reversing NHS privatisation, scrapping the 2012 Health and Social Care Act and increasing funding for the NHS by at least £6 billion per year until 2030.
- Further and Higher Education Bill – scrapping undergraduate tuition fees.
- Sustainable Economy Bill – setting binding targets on the economic impact on the environment.
- Future Generations Bill – requiring public bodies to balance the needs of the present with the needs of the future.
- Universal Basic Income Bill – to introduce a Universal Basic Income of £89 per week for all by 2025.
- New Homes Bill – creating a legislative framework for building 100,000 new zero-carbon homes for social rent each year.
- Renters’ Rights Bill – making housing more secure and bringing rent levels down.
- Voting Reform Bill – to replace the first past the post voting system with proportional representation, introducing a fully elected House of Lords, and extending the vote to 16 and 17 year olds.
Speaking of which, isn’t 16 and 17 too young to change politics?
It doesn’t matter how old you are, politics affects you, so don’t leave the decision making to out-of-touch politicians alone. Young voices like yours need to be heard.
There are already a number of Young MPs, MSPs, MEPs and councillors, could you join them one day?
- Ross Greer, MSP, 25
- Mhairi Black, MP, 25
- Magid Magid, MEP, 30, previously Lord Mayor of Sheffield
- Ben Bradley, MP, elected at 25
- Danielle Rowley, MP, elected at 27
- Ben Lake, MP, elected at 22
- Kirstene Hair, MP, elected at 25
- Ellie Emberson, councillor, elected at 19
- Mitchell Goldie, councillor, elected at 19
- Kira Peter-Hansen, MEP, 21
But you don’t have to join a political party to influence politics.
Useful campaign groups that could influence politicians